How Old Is Taylor?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Six Months Ago Today.....

At about 4:15pm China time a scared little girl walked into a room at the Civil Affairs office in Xi'an and into my heart. A day that changed both our lives forever. She took in everything that was going on around her, didn't shed a tear, accepted it and moved forward without looking back.

I can't believe it was 6 months ago today that we became a Forever Family. January seems so long ago. It feels as if Taylor has been here forever. These have been an incredible 6 months and I look forward to our life together. She has adjusted to her new life so well and is really thriving. I can't believe she is the same little girl I met 6 months ago.

Taylor has grown several inches in the past few months and is quickly growing out of 3T clothes. She hasn't put on any weight but still eats like a champion. She likes most fruits especially bananas, watermelon and apples. Her favorite vegtable is corn, especially if it is on the cob and tolerates carrots and broccoli. She will try most anything. She loves seafood especially shrimp and scallops. If you have any on your plate, watch out because they will disappear if you don't eat them fast enough. She doesn't really care for hot dogs but will eat just about anything else.

Taylor is still very extroverted and almost always has a smile on her face. She is still full of personality. She has the sweetest laugh and uses it often. Very ticklish on her feet and the back of her neck. She is a great cuddler and hugger. Willingly gives kisses and blows kisses good-bye. She always has a smile, a wave and a hello for all children especially babies. She is still very sweet, gentle and tender to her dolls and loves her dolls. She is definately a girly girl. Loves to wear dresses.

I would have to say her favorite thing next to her dolls is a mirror. This kid loves to look at herself in a mirror. She stops at any mirror and will smile, wave and say hi to herself. Sometimes when she does this I wonder if she knows that the little girl looking back at her is her. Difficult getting her out of the bathroom because there is a huge mirror above the sink. When she puts a dress on she loves to look in the mirror and twirl and dance around.

Taylor loves school and being with the other kids. The teachers adore her and love having her in the class. Knowing all this makes me realize that I made the right decision on sending her there fulltime when I went back to work. In September she will move to the 3/4 year old class with her friends. I feel very comfortable that the school will prepare her for kindergarten in 2 years.

Recently she started protesting when I left for work in the morning. This of course makes it hard to leave. The sitter that comes in to get her ready and take her to school is ready to distract her so I can leave. When I come home at night she gets sooooo excited she can't contain herself. It is like she won the lottery!!!! This of course makes it all worth it 100 times over.

As previously report Taylor's english is really coming along. She says more and more each day especially phrases that I have used over and over with her. She uses them in the correct context. There are times she is looking at me dead on and talking to me and must really think she is speaking clear as day...meanwhile I have no clue as to what she is saying. It is all gibberish. There are time if I listen real carfully and she repeats herself a few times I can make enough out to know what she is saying. She has added Row Row Row Your Boat to her singing repetoire that includes: ABC, Twinkle Twinkle, Frara Jacha, Patta-Cake.

Taylor also loves anything Elmo, Dora and Ki-Lan. There are a few other shows she likes to watch but always asks for these 3.

I have also discovered that Taylor is a little fish. She LOVES the swimming pool. Can't get her out of it when we go. She gets more and more comfortable in the water each time we go and a little more daring. Today she realized that her vest will keep her afloat when she isn't holding on. She starts swimming lessons next Saturday and will probably teach the instructor how to swim!!!!

These past 6 months have been fascinating watching her adjust to her new life and grow into so well. Guess I am doing something right.

As you will see in the pictures below from January 24th and today my little angel has come along quite well. I am one proud mama.


January 24th at the Cival Affairs Office


Later the same day back at the hotel. This is one of my favorite pictures of us.


July 24th on the train at Turtleback Zoo.
For an updated picture of Taylor and I, see the next post.

7 comments:

Sue said...

Happy 6-month anniversary! Hard to believe the time's gone by so quickly, isn't it? Love the new blog design!

purplecat said...

wow time has flown by! I am so pleased that things have worked out so well, you were obviously meant to have been together:)

Fonnetta said...

FANTASTIC!!! Loved catching up! Happy 6 months and a lifetime together! Hugs and loves to you both! Fonnetta

Lesa said...

Happy 6 months to you both! She has matured in the face quite a bit. It is wonderful how far they come isn't it?

Sherry said...

Wow -- I can't believe it's been 6 months since I seen you guys in China. But most days it seems like longer - since I feel like we have had Chloe forever. I totally forgot our 6 month is right around the corner. So glad to hear Taylor is adjusting to her new life so well. She sounds amazing!!! I hope to she her -- and you too -- before she's gets much bigger. We all need to plan something. Miss you guys.

Christine and Erin said...

This is a really sweet post. You two are a perfect match. So glad to see you are both so happy.

Dawn - AB Family said...

Happy 6 months!!!
She has grown so much.
We love checking in and seeing her beautiful smile.
Ty likes to see what Taylor has been up too.

Dawn & Ty